1. Dear Guest, if you are not receiving a forgot pw email then use the contact form at the bottom of the page. Bare in mind this is not monitored 24/7. Join our discord for help with account issues/queries. Join our discord: by clicking HERE.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Guest, some forum sections are hidden for you. Register for FREE for unlimited access.
    Dismiss Notice

Bought a Chromebook, Trying To Change OS From Chrome To Linux

Discussion in 'Other OS' started by Cartguy, May 5, 2014.

Share This Page

1. Cartguy

Cartguy New Member

Well I bought a Chromebook, it was a pretty good deal.
    $130 on eBay. But the Chrome OS limits you on the things you can do, and I don't like that.

I looked up on how to change it to Linux, but the only thing I could find was on how to run both Chrome and Linux and be able to switch between them. I want to completely get rid of Chrome and have a Linux primary OS.

Chrome has a tight security and its hard to do, I literally spent around 3 hours trying to figure it out, and I was only able to install both OS.

It boots to chrome and I have to switch to linux. I tried to get into the Bios to change the boot but was unable to do that. I bought a USB and have Linux Mint on it as a .iso
    I just need to figure out how to get into the bios so I can change it to boot from USB. I followed this tutorial to get where I'm at. I think I have to modify permission files, but when I tried it denied access.

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-install-linux-on-a-chromebook-and-unlock-its-ful-509039343

If anyone has any insight on how I can complete this, that would be wonderful. I really would like to unlock the full functionality of this laptop and not be restricted by Chrome.

2. Guardian

Guardian -

The limitations of it is ultimately why I didn't get one. Not sure how to do that myself, but good luck doing it. If it works be sure to share how! :thumbsup: Good luck!

3. Cartguy

Cartguy New Member

I will definitely do.
    I just need to figure out how to change a permission file to get into the bios.
    When you take off the Chrome's OS verification (Once in Developer Mode)
    It boots to an annoying screen everytime. I'm working on disabling it.

[​IMG]

4. Mikaya

Mikaya -

I was actually gonna consider getting one, but I didn't know it had such limitations. Thanks for the heads up. It's still a good laptop, though!

5. Guardian

Guardian -

Basically, if it' not an app you can use in Chrome, you won't be using anything.

6. Cartguy

Cartguy New Member

yeah the performance and hardware are great for the price.
    Once I bypass the chrome security to get linux, it will be beast :)

7. Null

Null New Member

Is there a switch behind the battery. It might just be the chrombook pixel